A truley awesome twist on the classic Turkey dish. Andre provides a culinary delight with a
toked smoked turkey recipie to be thankful for.
Take a turkey upper leg of around 1,35 kg
The basis of the Lake is a brine made from;
- 5 liters of water
- 300g kosher salt
- 200g brown raw cane sugar
- 150ml maple syrup
For the turkey leg, the brine was refined and seasoned. This gives the meat even more taste.
For 1.5 liters of brine we added:
- 15g fresh ginger in slices,
- 2-3 chili -long cut,
- 5 pimento grains,
- 2 small or 1 large bay leaf,
- 1 stick of kaneel cinnamon,
- 15g hemp tea or dried cannabis leaves,
- Add 1 sprig of rosemary, 2 leaves of sage, a sprig of thyme and 1 sprig of lemon thyme, (opened so that the essential oils can escape).
- Furthermore, 2 carrots and 1 slice of celeriac in cubes were added.
After the seasoned brine has soaked through for at least 1-2 hours, some pickle is sieved off and injected into the inside of the leg by means of a syringe to season it properly inside too.
This mixture is sufficient for about 2 upper legs.
The leg is now left to stand in a bag or bowl together with the seasoning brine for 48 hours. The meat should be completely covered with liquid.
After 2 days the meat is removed from the marinade and thoroughly dried all around. Ideally, the leg should be hung in a cool place for 12 hours to dry, and shortly before smoking, any residual moisture should be removed again.
For smoking, the smoking oven is preheated to about 100°c -110°c.
Since hemp burns very quickly during smoking, we used apple wood as a smoking base and added wet hemp plant parts soaked in water every hour.
The desired core temperature is 71°c, the total smoking time is usually about 4-5 hours.
During the last 15-20 minutes of the smoking process the leg is covered all around with maple glaze.
Maple glaze :
- 100 ml maple syrup + 50ml maple syrup
- about 3g salt
- 2 g decarboxylated cannabis flower
- 10 ml apple vinegar
- 40 ml poultry broth
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 fresh chili
- 3g fresh ginger
- Salt and cannabis are ground in a mortar to fine seasoning salt and put into a pot together with 100ml maple syrup. Chili, ginger and garlic are added chopped up, filled up with the broth and boiled up while stirring.
- When the mixture begins to develop a honey-like consistency, the solid ingredients are sieved out and the syrup is boiled up again.
- After boiling the glaze is filled up with the remaining 30ml maple syrup and seasoned finely.
We served the dish with caramelized sweet potatoes and “Holiday roast vegetables” with hemp seeds.
For the “Holliday roast vegetables” we cut “purple haze carrots” and Brussels sprouts into bite-sized pieces and baked them in the oven with rosemary and thyme.
Before serving, we add roasted pecans, roasted and peeled hemp seeds and dried cranberries.